What is RAM and it’s working – In this article, we will learn about What is RAM, Uses and Properties of RAM, its working, types of RAM and some amazing facts related to RAM.
Every computing device is consist of storage unit which is used to store the data for further computation and processes done by the processor.
These storage unit are of many types. But what we need is the quick access and retrieval of data for fast computing. This is achieved by the storage unit called RAM.
RAM stands for Random Access Memory. It is the essential part of modern computing devices. Now, let see What is RAM with its actual definition.
What is RAM
What is RAM – RAM is the hardware storage device used to store data like – Applications, Operating System, Commands given by user, etc. for easy and fast access or retrieval of data to the processor.
RAM is also known as short term memory. Because it holds data for less time as compared to other storage medium like – Hard drives, CD-ROM, Pen drive etc.
So, Now you know the RAM definition with its basics. Lets see some properties, types an working of RAM.
Uses and Advantages of RAM
- Easy and Fast access to data – RAM is used for quick read and write operations on data. So, that to match the speed of processing or computation of processor. As the processor needs data at very fast rate to process, the storage unit is also fast which is the reason we RAM for it.
- Make computing very fast – As we learned, RAM is very good with fast read and write operation on data. This makes the processor or computation fast too. Because data will flow through processor at much high speed, which ultimately helps in fast computing.
Properties of RAM
- RAM is a volatile memory – RAM is a volatile memory as it loses its data if the computer loses power supply. So, RAM needs continuous supply of power of work and hold data properly.
- Power Consumption – Static RAM consumes high power whereas Dynamic RAM consumes less power.
- High Speed – RAM is known for its high speed and its data transfer speed is from 10 GB/sec to 25 GB/sec.
- Limited Capacity – RAM is known for its high speed and its data transfer speed is from 10 GB/sec to 25 GB/sec.
How RAM Works
RAM consist of various capacitors and transistors which in combination makes a single memory unit called ‘bit’. Capacitor is responsible for holding the charge(1) or releasing the charge(0), which makes bit 1 or 0. As we know that capacitor holds charge for very less time. Therefore, In RAM we need continuous supply of power for recharging a capacitor else the charge will get flush and we loss all the data very frequently. That’s the reason RAM is called volatile memory.
Amazing facts of RAM
- RAM stands for Random Access Memory. And the opposite of RAM is Sequential Access Memory. It is memory whose data can only be accessed sequentially. As RAM can access data in a random manner.
- As the RAM definition indicates, it has very fast speed. The data transfer speed of normal RAM is 9-10 GB/sec. Whereas the speed of DDR4 RAM is 20-25 GB/sec.
Hope you like the post and can define anyone with complete details if you get the questions like What is RAM or how it works.
If you have any suggestion, let me know in the comment section below. Don’t forget to share the post.